The Peter Ihrke Scholarship was created to honour the life and career of Professor Peter Ihrke and commemorate his contribution to the discipline of veterinary dermatology. As Dr. Kwochka noted, Peter was “a most valued colleague; an individual who was highly motivated in his desire to make dermatology accessible to those in less privileged circumstances”.
This scholarship provides the opportunity for an individual from an under-privileged region to attend a two-to-four week externship in the veterinary dermatology service of the University of California-Davis (UCD) Veterinary School. The scholarship will fund a return economy airfare, modest accommodation and meal allowance, and professional liability insurance for the successful applicant.
- Must be a licensed veterinarian with at least three years, full-time experience working as a veterinarian.
- Dermatology residents or interns enrolled in training programs are not eligible.
- Must provide proof of residency in a geographic location with limited access to continuing education opportunities in veterinary dermatology.
- Will provide proof of adequate ability to write and speak in English.
- Will provide evidence of interest and commitment to veterinary dermatology.
- Will provide a statement of financial need.
- Will provide a curriculum vitae/resume.
- Will provide a written reference from a veterinary professional associate or mentor.
- Will provide a plan as to how their acquired knowledge will benefit other veterinarians and/or veterinary technicians in their geographic region.
- Will provide a written report (500 words) to the WAVD AC within 12 months of completion outlining how the applicant benefited from the scholarship and how their plan to disseminate their knowledge has been implemented.
Applications will be processed via the WAVD website. Applications open on July 1, the closing date for applications will be September 30, and the award ratified by the WAVD Administrative Committee by December 1 of the year preceding the World Congress.
The successful 2024 scholarship recipient will be announced at the WCVD10 Opening Ceremony.
WAVD Scholarship Application Form
To apply for a scholarship grant, please complete the form below. Please take time to prepare your documents according to the instructions given. Only one (1) form submission is permitted per applicant.
Note: Documents may not exceed 1mb. The following formats are supported: doc, docx, odt, pdf, jpg.
ABOUT PETER IHRKE
Peter was the Chief of Veterinary Dermatology at the University of California-Davis (UCD) Veterinary School and he inspired the careers of many key members of our global discipline by training and mentoring residents. He was also highly motivated to support the growth and development of veterinary dermatology amongst veterinarians denied the privilege of ready access to continuing education.