The Peter Ihrke Scholarship was created to honour the life and career of Professor Peter Ihrke and commemorate his contribution to the discipline of veterinary dermatology. As Dr. Kwochka noted, Peter was “a most valued colleague; an individual who was highly motivated in his desire to make dermatology accessible to those in less privileged circumstances”.
This scholarship provides the opportunity for an individual from an under-privileged region to attend a two-to-four week externship in the veterinary dermatology service of the University of California-Davis (UCD) Veterinary School. The scholarship will fund a return economy airfare, modest accommodation and meal allowance, and professional liability insurance for the successful applicant.
- be a licensed veterinarian with at least three years full-time experience working as a veterinarian. Dermatology residents or interns enrolled in a formal training program are not eligible to apply;
- be able to provide proof of residency in a geographic location with limited access to continuing education opportunities in veterinary dermatology;
- provide proof of adequate ability to write and speak in English;
- provide evidence of interest and commitment to the discipline of veterinary dermatology;
- provide a statement of financial need;
- provide a brief curriculum vitae/resume;
- provide a written reference from a veterinary professional associate or mentor;
- provide a plan as to how their acquired knowledge will be of benefit to other veterinarians and/or veterinary technicians;
- provide a written report (500 words) to the WAVD AC, within 12 months of completion, outlining how the applicant benefited from the scholarship.
WAVD Scholarship Application Form
Note: the Peter Ihrke scholarship: will not be awarded until 2023.
To apply for a scholarship grant, please complete the form below. Please take time to prepare your documents according to the instructions given. Only one (1) form submission is permitted per applicant.
Note: Documents may not exceed 1mb. The following formats are supported: doc, docx, odt, pdf, jpg.
ABOUT PETER IHRKE
Peter was the Chief of Veterinary Dermatology at the University of California-Davis (UCD) Veterinary School and he inspired the careers of many key members of our global discipline by training and mentoring residents. He was also highly motivated to support the growth and development of veterinary dermatology amongst veterinarians denied the privilege of ready access to continuing education.